Monday, October 15, 2007

Book Portfolio

Book Portfolio
Nicole Pedone
Once There Was a War



In this book Once There Was a War written by John Steinbeck is about the World War II in diary format. It was written in the mid 1900’s. The genre is historical fiction. A soldier tells about what is going on while he is there. The theme has to do with the soldier and the diary entries that he has written down. It explains what was going on in great details.

John Steinbeck writes all the diary entries. He would explain what was going through his head. He was too interested in the girls and looking at dirty books about them. He would then have nightmares about his family being tortured to death, which really isn’t a good thing to be thinking about while you are at war. All he can think about is his girl that is back home. He writes many diary entries so that we know exactly what is going on. I think that he does a good job explaining what is going on, so that we know what is happening.

Everyone writes about what is going on in their lives, just like John Steinbeck does in his books. We usually write them when we are little about what is going on in our lives. I wouldn’t really know what is going on while they are at war because obviously I ain’t there. So I think that it is a good idea for them to write about what is happening so that young users like us so we can tell what is happening if we ever want to go into the war. They can have a heads up for is going to be going on and what may cross there minds. I may want to go into the army so this gives me an idea what it is going to be about.

These characters in this book are very believable. I can't believe what they are talking about. My uncle was in the war and some of the things that they said in the book he has also said just differently. This was an ok book but I think that it would have been more interesting if it was a girl’s point of view not the guys. It would have brought my attention more then the guy. But other then that I could believe most everything that they were talking about. Some of the stuff was a little outrageous though.

No comments: